The life of a newborn baby boy was recently cut short due to alleged negligence of practitioners at the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation (GPHC) after he succumbed shortly after burns received from a headlamp in one of the incubators.Little Quavon Forde was born in December 2018 in what was termed a premature birth since he arrived one month earlier than expected.His grandmother, Sharon Harding, in an interview with this publication on Wednesday, explained that the baby was incubated until he was fully developed and his parents were allowed to visit every day. On a subsequent visit some days later, his mother, Odessa Forde, went to check on her baby and made the shocking discovery that he was severely burnt about his body.Before and after Quavon Forde was burntAccording to the grandmother, the child’s mother immediately called on nurses on duty, who shrugged off the matter, insisting that they were unaware of the circumstances. Relatives later learnt that a headlamp would have caused the injuries after doctors briefed them on what transpired.“I told her to ask the nurses around and she kept asking but all the nurses would tell us is that they wasn’t there or they don’t know about that,” the aggrieved grandmother relayed.Asserting that “specialists” would be present to treat the burns, the child was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit where he was later discharged on January 21, 2019, while his wounds were yet to be healed.“She saw a doctor and the doctor told her that it was a headlamp that fall and burn the baby and she must not worry because they brought in specialists to take care of the baby burns,” the grandmother relayed.“I’m assuming that they noticed themselves that the child couldn’t make it and they subsequently discharged this baby and handed it over to her.”A few days later, she noticed that the baby was in agony and was constantly crying. He was readmitted to the hospital where doctors failed in their attempts to save him on February 8.“He was groaning and the burns on the foot wasn’t healed. They discharged this baby wrapped in gauze so we took him back where he was admitted to the ICU. However, later, they said they couldn’t save him,” Harding explained.The grandmother said she contacted the Chief Executive Officer of the hospital, George Lewis, but he refuted claims that the baby died as a result of the burns sustained about his body, but rather from the fact the he was born premature.Harding said their troubles did not end there, saying that they faced numerous encounters when the post-mortem examination was due.On Wednesday, efforts by this publication to get a comment from GPHC’s officials proved futile.The death of the baby comes amid mounting calls for public health officials to be sanctioned for negligence.A series of protests have been held outside of the Public Health Ministry after three children, all cancer patients, died under questionable circumstances at the Georgetown Hospital last month.An investigation has since been launched into that incident.Devastated family members are calling for transparency in the investigation and for the family to be informed of the outcome. Adding to that, Harding said such matters require urgent attention to ensure that there is never a recurrence.
New Delhi: Former India captain Sourav Ganguly has once again backed Rohit Sharma for the Test opener’s role and feels that the batsman deserved an opportunity in the longest format of the game. Ahead of the India and West Indies series, Ganguly had opined Rohit should be tried for the opening slot. However, he was left out for both the games. Ganguly also said K.L. Rahul’s poor form can push the team management to try out Rohit as the opener with Mayank Agarwal. Also Read – Puducherry on top after 8-wkt win over Chandigarh Rohit had a great run in the recently conclued World Cup 2019, where he slammed five hundreds. “I had suggested earlier about trying Rohit Sharma as an opener in Test cricket and I still believe that he needs to be given an opportunity because he is too good a player to be left out in the cold,” Ganguly wrote in his column for The Times of India. “After a fantastic World Cup, I believe he will be itching to grab the opportunity to open in Tests. With Ajinkya Rahane and Hanuma Vihari settling in nicely, there is not much left to play around in the middle-order,” the former captain added. Also Read – Vijender’s next fight on Nov 22, opponent to be announced later Ganguly also felt fixing the problem with the opening slot is the need of the hour for India in longest format of the game. “The opening still remains an area to work on. Mayank Agarwal looks good but will need a few more opportunities. His partner KL Rahul, though, has flattered to deceive and that creates an opening at the top,” Ganguly opined. Speaking on the poor show by Jason Holder-led West Indes side in the series, where they were whitewashed 0-2, Ganguly said the hosts lacked application. “As has been clearly evident in every form of the contest, West Indies have the talent but in terms of application, the they are a long way off. How they manage to resurrect themselves from here on will define the future of West Indies cricket,” the former left-handed batsman wrote. read more