The respondents expect media M&A in 2009 to remain relatively active in two categories: information/database publishing and b-to-b magazines—although both are expect to show only moderate activity. Traditional media, on the other hand, is buffeted by a number of “disruptive trends and technologies” that are causing “permanent alterations in the media landscape,” according to the report. Those factors include the migration of ad dollars online, access to free Web content, the emergence of social media and expanded search technologies, and the inability of traditional media companies to react and adapt.AdMedia’s report identified broadcast (radio and TV), newspapers and consumer magazines as the weakest segments for M&A activity in 2009.Thirty-five percent of respondents said they believed the recession will last throughout 2009. Twenty-one percent said they expect it to last three quarters.To see the full report, click here. The U.S. recession is deeper and expected to last longer than past recessions. Overall media M&A is projected to be lower in 2009 than in 2008. Despite this, 63 percent of respondents in AdMedia Partners’ annual Prospects for Media Mergers and Acquisitions survey said they expect to complete an acquisition this year due to the number of attractive buying opportunities. According to the report, released Monday, 49 percent of respondents believe strategic buyers will either play a larger or similar role in media M&A relative to financial buyers, up from 19 percent in 2008.“There may be several opportunities for strategic buyers to move into historically hard-to-enter, upscale markets, especially in the hotly contested ‘local and regional niche’ markets such as city and regional magazines and local business journals,” one respondent said. For the report, AdMedia surveyed more than 1,500 media industry senior executives from the U.S. and abroad.While the majority of respondents (61 percent) agreed that now is the time for buyers to take action, 73 percent said sellers should wait to sell because valuations are off significantly from 2008. Respondents indicated prices for most media properties as either fairly valued or, in some cases, undervalued.
Scott Dadich reportedly has resigned as creative director at Wired to instead focus his efforts as Condé Nast’s executive director of digital magazine development.Vance Publishing named Tim L. Tobeck vice president and publishing director of the protein division. Most recently, Tobeck served as senior vice president and group publisher at Energy Central, a privately-owned b-to-b media company serving the utilities market. RDA Holding Co., the parent company of the Reader’s Digest Association, has appointed Fredric G. Reynolds as chairman of its board of directors, replacing Norman Matthews, who is retiring. Reynolds, who served as executive vice president and CFO at CBS Corp. from 1997 to 2009, has been a member of RDA’s board of directors since February.Kenneth Fuchs was promoted to vice president of emerging platforms business development at Time Inc., and will be responsible for development of distribution arrangements for emerging digital platforms, including tablets. The position will be folded under consumer marketing’s new Digital Marketing and Business Development group. Previously, Fuchs served as vice president and general manager of the Sports Illustrated Digital Group.Rolling Stone publisher Wenner Media named Mike Porche director of retail marketing and sales. Most recently, Porche served as president and CEO of American Media Inc.’s in-store magazine merchandising and distribution unit Distribution Services Inc. Porche, who has been with DSI for more than 25 years, will remain there through the end of the year.Firebrand Media, a Laguna, California-based newspaper and magazine publisher, appointed Christopher Schulz group publisher of its magazine division, which includes Newport Beach Magazine, Laguna Beach Magazine and Bespoke Magazine. Schulz most recently served as president and group publisher of Gulfshore Media/CurtCo.SourceMedia promoted John DelMauro to the newly-created position of senior vice president of conferences. Previously, DelMauro served as vice president and group publisher of SourceMedia’s banking group. read more
WILMINGTON, MA — For the fifth consecutive year, Wilmington firefighters will be shaving their heads to raise money for childhood cancer research on Saturday, June 23, 2018, from 1pm to 4pm, at Tremezzo Ristorante (2 Lowell Street).Members of Wilmington Firefighters Local 1370 are holding the “Brave A Shave” event to raise funds for the St. Baldrick’s Foundation, a charity which funds research to find cures for childhood cancers.Wilmington residents are invited to make online donations HERE. Residents are also encouraged to come on down to Tremezzo during the event and get their own heads shaved.For more information about the event and how you can help, contact organizer Eric Siegel at ericrsiegel[at]gmail.com or 978-436-1190. Siegel is a Wilmington firefighter and childhood cancer survivor.Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email email@example.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedCEILI STRONG: Music Bingo Fundraiser In Memory Of Ceili Kinneen Set For Tremezzo On October 24In “Community”Wilmington Firefighters To Shave Their Heads To Honor 3 Local Child Cancer Survivors & Raise Funds For ResearchIn “Community”WILMINGTON GIVES: Wilmington Firefighters To Shave Heads For Childhood Cancer On June 11In “Community” read more
Zico coconut water.Coca-ColaCoca-Cola will soon introduce ethnic drinks and fruit juices as the global beverage giant is looking for ways to keep increasingly health-conscious consumers coming back for more.Sales of carbonated drinks have stagnated as consumers worried about obesity and diabetes turn to healthy alternatives with less sugar.Nearly half (48 percent) of Indian consumers surveyed by market intelligence firm Mintel last year said they were aiming for a healthier lifestyle in the coming years.Local supermarkets are increasingly stocked with nutritious drinks such as soy milk and fruit juices, which have made a comeback in both households and trendy restaurants.So Coca Cola have come up with a plan for Indians. To go the healthy way.”We realised that every state in India has ethnic beverages. We are trying to identify one or two products in every state. For instance, we are looking at ‘nariyal pani’. It is something that we believe is very important. The company would be launching new products in the ethnic beverages category over the next three years,” Coca Cola India and Southwest Asia president T Krishnakumar told news wire PTI on Sunday.Zico, Coca-Cola’s coconut water brand, is already emerging as a bright spot in the company’s portfolio and by 2020, Coca-Cola executives estimate that coconut water will be a $1.5 billion category in the U.S, Business Insider reported on March 10.Globally, market-research firm Technavio estimates that the market for coconut water will go from roughly $2 billion in 2016, to more than $7 billion in 2021.Along with the unflavoured coconut water, Zico also comes in flavors such as chocolate, watermelon-raspberry, and jalapeño-mango, the most recent addition.The Georgia, United States-based company has about 50 percent of the beverages comprising local brands like ThumsUp, Limca and Maaza, which have been formulated, produced and sold in India.The company is also betting big on localisation of fruit juices.”We have realised that people in India have a huge love for fruits. We have launched a programme named ‘Ras Ras Mein India’ where we will pick up a fruit in every state and convert it into juice,” Krishnakumar told PTI.The cola major is also introducing low-sugar and sugar-free variants of beverages keeping in mind the changing consumer preferences. read more
Map of RangamatiJama’atul Mujahideen Bangladesh (JMB) members, who launched suicide bomb attacks on two mosques inside Shaheed Moazzem Base at Rangamati in 2015, had plans to loot arms and ammunition from the base., according to investigators.They said in the chagesheets that when the banned Islamist group men failed to carry out their original plan, they turned to the mosques instead, with a view to making their presence known.About 22 months after the incident, the police on Tuesday submitted two separate chagesheets with Chittagong Metropolitan Magistrate’s court, indicting six people, including an official of Bangladesh Navy.The accused are M Shakhawat Hossain, a former member of Bangladesh Navy, Abdul Mannan, Ramzan Ali, and Bablu Rahman alias Rony, ball keepers of Ishaa Khan Base, and Mannan’s elder brother Abdul Gaffar.Of them, Shakhawat and Bablu are absconding and three others in Chittagong Central Jail.At least 24 people were injured in two separate attacks on mosques inside the naval base on 18 December 2015, investigation officer (IO) and the city’s EPZ police station inspector Mohammad Osman Gani mentioned in the chargesheet.It said a search operation was conducted immediately after the incident where a bomb and a suicide vest were recovered from a toilet on the ground floor of the base in an abandoned condition.The IO said JMB’s regional chief coordinator in Chittaong Raisul Islam Khan alias Fardeen alias Nafis led the attack.He was later killed in an explosion while making a grenade in Sherpur of Bogra on 3 April, 2016.Fardeen was then excluded from the chargesheet, the IO added.Additional deputy commissioner of Chittagong police (procsecution) Nirmalendu Bikash Chakraborty said the chargecheets would be sent to the session judge’s court for a hearing.*This piece, originally published in the Prothom Alo print edition, has been rewritten in English by Saimul Huda read more
By The Associated PressJOHANNESBURG (AP) — The U.S. military says it has carried out six airstrikes in the Gandarshe area of Somalia which killed a total of 62 al-Shabab extremist rebels.In a statement issued Monday, the U.S. military’s Africa Command said it carried out four strikes on Dec. 15 in which 34 people were killed and two more on Dec. 16 which killed 28.Map locates Gandarshe, Somalia, where U.S. airstrikes killed al-Shabab extremists; 2c x 4 1/2 inches; 96.3 mm x 114 mm;All the air attacks were in the Gandarshe coastal area south of the capital, Mogadishu, it said.No civilians were injured or killed in the attacks, it said.All six strikes were carried out in close coordination with Somalia’s government, it said. The airstrikes were “conducted to prevent al-Shabab from using remote areas as a safe haven to plot, direct, inspire, and recruit for future attacks,” it said.Al-Shabab uses parts of southern and central Somalia to plot and direct extremist attacks, steal humanitarian aid, extort the local populace to fund its operations, and shelter radicals, said the statement.With these attacks, the U.S. military has carried out at least 46 airstrikes so far this year against al-Shabab, which is allied to al-Qaida and Africa’s most active Islamic extremist group. Al Shabab controls parts of rural southern and central Somalia and continues to stage deadly attacks in Mogadishu and other cities.The U.S. airstrikes have picked up dramatically since President Donald Trump took office and approved expanded military operations in the Horn of Africa nation. Airstrikes also target a small presence of fighters linked to the Islamic State group. read more
Windstar President to join season’s first San Juan sailing, announces agent & client incentives Share Travelweek Group Tags: Windstar Cruises Posted by SEATTLE — To emphasize the fact that the Caribbean is open for business following Hurricanes Irma and Maria, Windstar Cruises President John Delaney will be sailing on the cruise line’s first cruise departing from San Juan this season on Nov. 25.“Although areas of the Caribbean are still rebuilding after the recent hurricanes, so much of the Caribbean is open and welcoming visitors to their wondrous islands,” Delaney said. “Travellers should not be concerned about beginning or ending a cruise in San Juan, where the cruise terminal has been operational for weeks, along with the airport. I’ll be personally making the trip, arriving the day before my cruise to enjoy time in Old San Juan, giving updates on my Twitter account, and sharing first-person stories on Windstar’s Facebook page.”To encourage clients to book the Caribbean, Windstar is offering a special ‘Caribbean Is Open Cruise Package’ that includes significant savings, a US$200 shipboard credit and free onboard Wi-Fi, with rates starting at $1,499 per person.More news: AMResorts has a new Sr. Dir. of Cdn. Sales & Consortia Rel’nsMoreover, for travel agents, Windstar’s ‘Caribbean Take 5’ offer awards agents with a complimentary cruise when booking five staterooms or suites on any Caribbean voyage.With smaller yacht-like vessels (some of which still boast sails), Windstar can avoid overcrowded waterfronts and bring the much-needed vacationer to smaller islands and more intimate ports of call, contributing to the greater economy of the region. For example, Windstar just announced it will call at Anse Mitan in Martinique and Deshaies in Guadeloupe. While many ships will chart a course towards familiar harbors in the Western Atlantic and Western Caribbean, Windstar is going in the other direction to smaller, rarely visited jewels of the Caribbean islands.“Windstar can offer experiences and destinations others logistically can’t,” said Delaney. “We also do things many travellers think are long gone, like our open bridge policy, private beach barbecue experiences, and a water sports platform to jump right into the blue waters the Apollo astronauts swooned over from space. Not everyone has to chart the same course.” << Previous PostNext Post >> Friday, November 10, 2017 read more
Posted by TORONTO — Voyages Encore Travel has appointed former Air Canada Vacations executive and NewLeaf trailblazer Dean Dacko as its new Chief Commercial Officer, effective immediately.In his new role, Dacko will be responsible for all commercial functions including new business development, account management, marketing, vendor relations and product development.Monique Mardinian, CEO and founder of Voyages Encore Travel, said Dacko adds a “wealth of experience” to the team, bringing with him an “extensive background in the global travel industry, both in Canada and internationally.”Prior to the appointment, Dacko spent five years as Director of Marketing for Air Canada Vacations, and nine years as Vice President of Travel Solutions for Carlson Marketing. He also spent three years as Senior Vice President, Head of Marketing and Product for Malaysia Airlines based in Kuala Lumpur, where he was responsible for the Crisis Management and Business Continuity programs during and following the twin tragedies of MH370 and MH17. His actions were largely credited for the recovery of over $1 billion in lost revenue for the airline in less than nine weeks.Most recently, Dacko helped establish and develop New Leaf Travel Company’s airline, NewLeaf, as its Chief Commercial Officer. He was also recognized as one of the top 100 Most Influential Global Marketing Leaders by the World Marketing Congress, served as a member of the Advisory Board for Google in Asia, and was a participating member of the advisory committee for LinkedIn worldwide.Dacko will be based at Encore Travel’s headquarters in Montreal, and can be reached at (514) 738-7171, ext. 207. [People] Dean Dacko named Voyages Encore Travel’s new Chief Commercial Officer Tags: People Travelweek Group Monday, January 29, 2018 << Previous PostNext Post >> read more