Share on: WhatsApp “It’s beyond calculation and beyond rationality.”NOT STAYING: Pique (right) and Neymar (left).– ‘Transfer of the century’ –However, in the French capital there is huge excitement at PSG’s Qatari-backed project landing a star name to finally make them feared among European football’s elite with even French president Emmanuel Macron enthused.“It adds attractiveness. Yes, it’s good news,” said Macron.“Neymar to PSG — the transfer of the century”, splashed Le Parisien’s front page on Thursday with the first five pages devoted to his impending arrival.The mood is understandably more sombre in Barcelona where attention has turned to who the Catalans can sign to replace Neymar in the month before the transfer window closes.Neymar’s Brazilian international teammate Philippe Coutinho of Liverpool and Borussia Dortmund’s Ousmane Dembele have both been linked.There is also scepticism at the role played by PSG’s owners Oryx Qatar Sports Investments (QSI) at a time of political crisis for the energy-rich state which has been boycotted by its Gulf neighbours in recent months and will play host to the World Cup in 2022.Spanish newspaper El Mundo described the move as a “state signing.”But whilst La Liga protests at losing one of its biggest stars, Barca’s players have continued to wish their now former teammate well.“My friend I wish you the best in everything that comes!!!” Luis Suarez posted on Instagram alongside a picture of the two hugging.“Also thank you for your support, for everything that I learned with you and for the unique moments that we spent together!!!! Keep like this and never change love you little bro.” Neymar signs five-year contract with Paris Saint-Germain Paris, France | AFP | Neymar completed his world record transfer to Paris Saint-Germain on Thursday when he signed a five-year contract, the French club announced.The 25-year-old Brazilian earlier broke his contract with Barcelona by paying a 222 million-euro ($264 million, £201 million) buyout clause.Barca confirmed Neymar’s lawyers “made the payment of 222 million euros in the player’s name” to release him from the five-year contract he signed just last year.His new mark is more than double the previous record set by Manchester United’s capture of Paul Pogba from Juventus last year for 105 million euros, leaving many commentators aghast at the rampant inflation in football transfer fees.Earlier, Spain’s football league threatened to stall the saga by refusing to accept a cheque presented by Neymar’s representatives at its Madrid headquarters.La Liga president Javier Tebas accused the French club of breaching UEFA’s financial fair play rules.Clubs can be sanctioned by European football’s governing body for making a loss of more than 30 million euros over a three-year period.However, UEFA insisted the move will not automatically trigger a failure to comply with FFP regulations.“The transfer of Neymar to PSG will have an effect on the club’s finances over several years but the impact of such an operation cannot be judged in advance, notably as PSG could well sell several players for a significant amount,” UEFA said in a statement to AFP.Barca added that they will aid UEFA in any future enquiry into whether the French side fall foul of regulations.“The club will pass on to UEFA the details of the above operation so that they can determine the disciplinary responsibilities that may arise from this case,” continued the Barca statement.Leading coaches such as Arsenal’s Arsene Wenger and Manchester United’s Jose Mourinho lamented that the move could cause even greater inflation in transfer fees and player wages.“It also looks like the inflation is accelerating,” said Wenger, whose 21 years at Arsenal have been characterised by prudent spending.
Cosby from Leicestershire and Rutland have won the Junior Champion Club Tournament without striking a ball today. The remnants of Hurricane Bertha were to blame after it left the Bracken Course unplayable, forcing officials to abandon the round after less than three hours play.Persistent heavy rain from a dark gray sky following an overnight downpour left the fairways waterlogged and only half the field had begun their second rounds when a halt was called.“The continual rain left the fairways unplayable,” said chief referee Michael Rees. “If the rain had stopped we might have been able to resume. But it would have taken more than an hour to clear the surface water.“The greens were fine but the fairways were the problem. What’s more, the forecast was for more rain and some of the teams had a long way to travel home. So I had to make a decision which was a pity.”But that didn’t worry the Cosby trio (image © Leaderboard Photography), who had afternoon start times, although they were disappointed they were unable to add to their opening 72 Stableford points.“We weren’t expecting play to be cancelled,” said Stuart Kinnaird, who returned 36 points in round one. “We knew the weather was going to be poor but I was looking to put in another good round. Having said that, we are overwhelmed to win a national championship.”Ross Murgatroyd, who also returned a first round 36 points, added: “I am shocked this has turned out this way. We were last off in the afternoon and expecting to be out there again.“Our club has reached three finals this year and we have won the first of the trio. I think this is the first time our club has won anything like this.”The third member of the team, Matt Jones said: “I had the worst round yesterday and was looking to make up for it today. So I need to thank the other lads for helping me out.”Although they finished round one on 71 points along with three other teams, Tiverton took second place because their non-scoring member, Grace Jackson, scored 32 points. This was one more than Huxley Howell of Saltford who were third.For more information visit the championship website. 10 Aug 2014 Cosby crowned champions after rain stops play read more